10.15.2008

It was only a cold

.

...
Last Thursday my throat started to hurt, and I was feeling a little bit run down. I was afraid I had the flu - several friends have had it already - so I decided to skip the Mommy and Baby fitness class that day and take it easy, since we had company arriving the next day to stay with us through the weekend.

I started researching on how dangerous it may be for baby to catch the flu. I read articles indicating that baby cannot catch the flu through breast milk, which I actually did not even think of. If baby does catch the flu, as your body fights off the flu you are producing antibodies that will help your baby get well faster than baby would on his own. That was a relief.

Also if baby's sinuses get so plugged up that he has trouble breathing, you will need a bulb syringe to help clear it up. Last night Connor actually sounded like he could not breath through his nose while breastfeeding, so I tried using the syringe I had - which seemed like such a cheap syringe, it was part of a grooming package from Safety 1st. I have no idea if it actually worked, however Connor did seem to be able to breath afterwards. I haven't yet checked to see if that syringe can even be taken apart for washing...

I totally forgot, however, to check on what meds I can take for a cold or flu. I did take a few doses of Robitussen this weekend, because I had a dry cough, and I did not want to wake up baby with a loud cough. I did have a faint recollection of my doctor telling me that Robitussen was okay during my pregnancy, and anything that was safe while pregnant is safe for breastfeeding. I just checked a few sites now, for example on kellymom.com and Dr. Sears' site, and I think I am safe.

I feel much better now, I think it was only a cold, thank goodness.

0 comments

 

My Blog List

Followers