10.01.2008

Emergency preparedness for baby

.

...
As if we didn't have enough excitement in our lives. Yesterday a technician came to the house to look at our furnace and to vacuum the vents. He told us our furnace had a leak on one of the parts and that the furnace was unsafe to use. My cousin Kenny was visiting at the time and he said to call the gas company as they could send a technician out to verify there is a leak.

I called Terasen Gas today and they classified this as a priority gas leak and recommended that we open all the windows and doors, not turn on or off and electricity, and to leave the house until the technician arrives. This was around 5:30 PM. Linds had just gotten home at 5 PM and my mother was beginning to prepare dinner for us. We all reluctantly and slowly made our way outside. My mom started bringing out chairs and then a table and some food! What a big production. Luckily, the Terasen Gas technician arrived in about 45 minutes, and his assessment was that we do have a minor leak and that we should definitely change the part in question, but it was still safe to use the furnace.

The whole event got me thinking again about emergency preparedness for baby Connor. As long as he is with me he will have breast milk, but what if I'm not there? Maybe I should buy some infant formula for emergencies, as well as creating a frozen supply of breast milk (which I had been meaning to do but still have not yet gotten around to it). Also a supply of diapers, baby clothes and blankets in the car.

0 comments

 

My Blog List

Followers